Giving Feelings a Shape

This forum is dedicated for discussions on making creative images of nature. Images can be attached too as part of the discussion thread.

Moderators: Prashanth Sampagar, Madhav Jois, Raviprakash S S, Vikas T R, Adithya Biloor, Nevil Zaveri, Aniket R Thopate, Adithya U N, Sarthak Agrawal

Giving Feelings a Shape

Postby Ganesh H Shankar » Sat May 31, 2008 1:22 pm

Having confined to my little (so called) garden for this week, I spent some time trying to find a subject to photograph. I found this rose twig and found it interesting.

1_of_5.jpg
1_of_5.jpg (187.56 KiB) Viewed 4069 times

To me it sort of depicted two faces of life. Nevertheless, the transition between "lifeless" and "life" did not come stronger. It is interesting how light and white balance influence the mood of the image. I thought of pumping in a little more life into the bud by creating visual separation between lifeless and life - which resulted following images below.

4_of_5.jpg
4_of_5.jpg (192.8 KiB) Viewed 4068 times

5_of_5.jpg
5_of_5.jpg (195.34 KiB) Viewed 4067 times

3_of_5.jpg
3_of_5.jpg (214.49 KiB) Viewed 4067 times

In each of these images I played with selective lihgting to emphasis the life while leaving the dead branch as is. My personal preference is this last image titled Life-3 above.

For this I used couple of torch lights (MagLites) to selectively light the bud. Use of flash will spoil the mood and will make the image flat as shown below.

2_of_5.jpg
2_of_5.jpg (159.25 KiB) Viewed 4063 times

Not an ideal image/example but I wanted to emphasis the fact that if we have an end result in mind or have an inner feeling towards the subject in front of us then there are tools available or we can think of new ones to give those feelings a shape and better express them. Pressing the shutter is 5% or less of the effort involved in making an image.

Love to know what your thoughts are...
Ganesh H. Shankar
Wishing you best light,

Fine Art Nature Photography
Ganesh H Shankar
Site Admin

Re: Giving Feelings a Shape

Postby sanjeev » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:29 pm

you have perfectly illustrated what I have been trying to say in all my other posts today. thanks for the insight. I assume you felt the contrast between life and lifeless even before you made the image or after making the image? Wonderful!
sanjeev

Return to Discussions on Creative & Fine Art Nature Photography